Life long learning is one of the most important tenets of Unitarian Universalism. Our belief in the continuing revelation of Truth in all its forms holds with it the responsibility to pursue that truth with intention and purpose, and Adult Religious Exploration workshops are an important way in which we as a congregational community engage in this pursuit of Truth. Our workshops seek to support our personal spiritual journeys by providing opportunities to expand our knowledge, to explore ideas and feelings and to grow emotionally and spiritually. By this support of the personal and individual, we re-energize and re-focus our spiritual and civic commitments, contributing thus to a strong foundation for our collective work towards a better society.
Adult Religious Exploration Council (A-REC)
The council includes: Ellen Germann (firstname.lastname@example.org), Peggy Martin (email@example.com), Janice Schuster (firstname.lastname@example.org), Karin Bergman (email@example.com), John Wilms (firstname.lastname@example.org), Denise Wilson (email@example.com), Larry Hicks (firstname.lastname@example.org), Kat Braz (email@example.com), Susanne McConville (firstname.lastname@example.org), and Suzan Windnagel (email@example.com).
Upcoming events include:
- Monthly Drumming Workshops, held the 2nd Tuesday of each month, 7:30-9:30 pm. Structured drumming sessions! Learn about drumming in the West African style, facilitated by Sundeep Rao and Robin Pickett of the local West African percussion ensemble circAfrique. Bring your drum, or ask if a drum is available for use (there are about 6-8) for a small, extra donation. Your drum will need to make at least two distinct sounds. Bells, shakers, and other percussive instruments are welcome! $10 requested donation per session.
- Quarterly Meditation Workshops, to be held June 29, Sept 28 and Dec 14 in 2013, 10 am- noon. Workshop teaches various techniques to aid in stress relief, relaxation and helping to maintain a calm & centered mind. Workshop leader is Jason Kniola, Hakomi Body-Centered Psychotherapist. $10 requested donation.
- Vibration Healing Workshop with Jason Kniola, and Faith and Reason – DVD and discussion facilitated by an A-REC facilitator. Held Aug 9 2013 at the retreat.
- Building your own theology. Based on the assumption that everyone is their own theologian, this classic UU adult education program invites participants to develop their own personal credos. 10 sessions to be facilitated by Ellen Germann-Melosh. To be held Fall 2013.
Ongoing events include:
- Monday Meditation, held 7 pm Mondays with Larry Hicks
- Zen Meditation, held 7 pm Thursdays and 8 am Saturdays with Russ Flynn
- Tai Chi, held 7 am Mondays through Fridays with Lisa Petersen, or 5 pm Wednesdays with David McCain
- Qi Gong, held 7:30 Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays with Lisa Petersen
The church has a large number of books on various religious, theological and spiritual topics. You are welcome to borrow books from the church library.